Sunday, November 27, 2016

Oh The Places You'll Go


I have been sitting at my computer for hours trying to write this incredibly articulate post that captures the traveling spirits I met in twenty four hours while in Montevideo. For a second I thought I had something good. It was going to be this super inspiring post about traveling, hostel living, and amazing strangers. Unfortunately my words could not really do this experience justice. There is no way to describe the feeling my stomach had speaking in Spanish, English and broken Portuguese to a nomadic twice Brazilian divorcee over a cup of coffee. I cannot even begin to describe the relief I received meeting not one, but three New Yorkers all living in Uruguay. Two of them were 2014 New Paltz grads back packing around the continent. After moving to Denver and waitressing for a few years, they decided to buy a one way ticket and pack some camping gear.  The other New Yorker was studying abroad for a semester in Montevideo. While we chatted on the beach she told me she was going to be spending Thanksgiving in Buenos Aires with her father and we rapidly swapped names of all of the sufficient ethnic restaurants we knew in our respected cities. It was light hearted and sweet. There was this sense of understanding, as if I have not been the only other person deprived of seasoning.  I was comforted by the encounters I had with strangers having at least two unsolicited conversations about racism in Argentina/ Uruguay initiated by white people. It was unreal.  But again, a blog post could not convey what this experience meant for me.


So instead I wanted to get into the core encounter. His name is Stanley, a British Millennial living in a developing hostel in Montevideo. He’s been saving for the last two years back in London working unflattering jobs and living in a small studio apartment until about six weeks ago. I was the first native English speaker he had met since his arrival. It was iconic how within the first ten minutes of our conversation we did the “How’s Brexit?”. . . “Well how’s Trump?” Superpower period of mourning. It was as if we both needed to grieve and breathe each other’s English speaking air before we could reflect on our privileged lives in Uruguay.

Stanley and I got into some heavy conversation that essentially summarized my Montevideo adventure. We were young, privileged, and had nothing to lose. Maybe that was anticlimactic for you but accurate none the less. All day I had been hanging out with girls who just decided to leave the U.S. and travel around a continent with little to no understanding of the language.  Another girl and I spent ten minutes complaining about culinary options while standing on a beach in the middle of November. That evening I listened to two Israeli guys complain about corrupt police in Paraguay and now I was telling my horror story of having to run around the city and pay a fine for overstaying my tourist visa that I in reality probably should not even have. One of the few times that I felt powerless over this entire three month span was when my passport was not my key to the world for about three hours.  A British guy woke up and decided that rather than living a boring life in London, he should do the same thing he was doing there just in Latin America. What was the worst thing that could happen? There was nothing tying any of us back to our homeland while at the same time knowing we can always go home if we wanted.

I like to think of myself as a free spirit but in reality I am a pretty serious control freak. I had known since I was about fifteen exactly which college and seminary I would attend. Before I had left for internship, I created a 60 site spreadsheet for potential Chaplain Residencies I could pursue when I return. Often times I tend to shrug things off but in reality I am always trying to plan my future years in advance. Not only so, but the organization of my planning process has resembled the Americana-influenced, college then grad school then job. Never would I have ever planned a gap year or traveling that was not on a vacation schedule. Stanley on the other hand did everything I didn’t. He did not go to college. He went into the workforce, moved out of his parent’s house and made a commitment to himself to be happy with the life he was living. Both of us went two separate paths and ended up in the same position. Abroad. I realized how much I envied that willingness to not know and to be willing to receive all that comes your way. I love a plan B, C, and D. While others around me are living out of book bags and tents.

                Unlike the other folk that I encountered throughout the day, Stanley inquired about my morality as a millennial missionary. He asked me the traditional questions around the integration of church and society, more so if we are changing our morals to meet the needs of society.  Of course the topic got on to homosexuality which then led into having sex without procreation and reinforcing no sin is greater than the next.  The topic itself was nothing substantial but to me, it was one of the most refreshing conversations I had in a while. Yes, I have been working in a church setting but very rarely do I get to have theological conversations with anyone other than pastors. Back in the states I had these conversations all the time. There was always someone interested in talking about church and society. So far in Argentina it has been almost unspoken about. In my opinion, being able to have conversations that reflect an inclusive theology can have a significant influence on my generation. There is a reassurance of the church your grandparents used to drag you to may not actually hate you.

                Stanley and I had concluded our dialogue with talks about immigration and the irony of our freedom to travel while others are literally dying to leave their homes. Both of us being from significant cities of large migrant populations, we felt very strongly about the well-being of our neighbors.  I remember him saying, “I am who I am because of immigrants.” Same Stanley, same. For a moment we were one in the same as we shared our love for different cultural dishes, various languages, and our friend’s parents loving us like we were their own. We grew up in places of curiosity and understanding. Who would I have become without the cultural richness my city offers? As Superpower countries, we are guilty of colonizing just about the entire world. We have waltzed into nations, divided them, raped and pillaged, and left when their resources became under our control. We acted as puppeteers in countries removing and replacing leaders as we choose, building terrorist regimes in order to keep their neighbors in check. Then we abandoned them. Not just nations, but the people. Then we act high and mighty when others seek refuge in their abusers. It’s just a bunch of bullocks if you ask me.

                I guess you can say my trip to Montevideo was a success. If you saw in my previous post I had my fill of being a tourist. I also had the great experience of just being alive. These experiences have definitely influenced my consciousness and how I bring the story of Jesus Christ to others. By treading lightly and remembering my privilege, I am also learning to see the gospel in a new light. As I travel, I carry with me mujerista and third world feminist theology books to accompany my periods of reflection. So at times when I slip there is still something to keep me check. This break from the church reminded me of how fortunate I am and has also showed me a lot about myself. I am learning. I am growing. I am here.


#ReclaimMissionary 

No comments:

Post a Comment