Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Sound Of Music

Two years at St. Mark's Lutheran in Philadelphia has left me spoiled when it comes to worship. Every Sunday morning, 70-80 Lutherans joined together for at least two hours engaging in high church liturgy infused with praise and worship elements. The choir sang song after song accompanied by a piano, drums, and guitar. Music echoed through the high ceilings across the pews and into the balcony. Hands would clap as people stood swaying to the beat. For other traditions, this was a common occurrence across churches. In the North American Lutheran Context, this was quite rare which made it even more of a luxury for me. Concept: Lutherans with rhythm.

San Lucas is quite the opposite to be quite frank. The past few Sundays we have not had a musician to lead us into song. The congregation rely on each other to match the rhythm of the song while I rely on the grace of God to properly read the lyrics. For my own formation, this has been a challenge as I have relied so much these past two years to receive my spiritual nourishment through song. This lack of music has taken me on a journey to start playing music throughout the week. As someone with one year of piano lessons and no prior guitar experience under her belt, I expect this to be interesting.

The other day I was in the church salon fiddling on the guitar. A few youth were around but I was not really engaged with anyone. I tend to be a bit shy because of my Spanish. Then one of our young men, Nico, came  into the salon and was very excited about music. He started to go through the ELW with me and hum along with me. After a few tries he says "hold on" and runs to the church to grab another Cancionero. He comes back with a recorder and a music book. "Let's try this song" he says. "Ok cool," not fully understanding what was going on. I ask him to sing it for me first so I can get an idea of how it should sound. It was gorgeous. I explain that this is my first time trying to play notes and I have no idea how to play chords so excuse me. This guy was so patient with me. Nico accompanied my disheveled stanzas with his soft voice, repeating phrases to help me with the melody. We went through the song sharing Mate and Music all three verses. After each verse he would check in with me, "shall we continue? Are you getting it?" I would shrug and carry on. We sat together for close to an hour playing this one hymn. It was the most time I had spent with another person all morning.

As I say repeatedly, communication is something I cherish. The wonderful thing about communication is that it is both verbal and nonverbal. Music is something that can be shared without the need for constant talk. You get an idea of what the other person wants you to do fairly easily. The two of us played while youth went in and out of the salon. Some sat with us. Others ran to the patio. None of that really mattered though. I was just there for the fellowship after a while.

After our jam session (more like jelly), a bunch of us gathered around in a sharing of musical favorites and a few rounds of Hangman. My hips would sway every time Cumbia came on. Many of us had the same favorite artists both from the U.S., the Caribbean, and Latin America. The youth would ask me to translate lyrics for them from some of our favorite songs. I forget how many dialects and slang terms we use in our music. Then they played a bit of dancehall/ reggae and it took everything in me to not act as a fool. 

"Nic, le gusta bailar?"- one of the youth.
 
"Si claroooooo!"- me. 
"Ok ok, ven."- them.

The music then switched back to Cumbia and we all grabbed partners. Next thing you know we are dancing in the Salon like a family reunion. Every few steps we would twirl inward then outward. Hands met then separated with the beat. We shared in this carefree moment through the sound of music. This beautiful craft that people spend their lives perfecting has this effect that brings groups together in the oddest of places. Again, I was just thankful for the fellowship. 

I am thankful for moments like these as it reminds me of why I am here. This is my year of formation, one of the last few steps before ordination. Being open to these experiences are imperative as it brings you closer to the people you serve. They too serve. Nico served me as he supported my wish to play music. The youth accompanied me in this cultural exchange through their willingness to be equally vulnerable with me and offer the gift of music. "It is good."

#ReclaimMissionary

No comments:

Post a Comment